Saturday, July 12, 2014

Things I Missed and Things I'll Miss

Looking back on what I initially thought Europe would be like, I really can't remember what I envisioned. Yes, there were differences, but there were also a lot of similarities. That was one thing I was surprised with. Especially in the UK. It felt so comfortable. Different, yes, but familiar as well. There were some US things I definitely missed while across the pond though, and now back on the US side, some things about Europe I will definitely miss. Here's a little bit on these things.

What I missed about the U.S.
- Ice (It's just not a thing there. You order still water and get it in a glass without ice, that's just how it is)
- Free water at restaurants (Yes, water costs money, but when you're dying from thirst it's a small price to pay)
- Free toilets (We were strategic and only had to pay once, but still it's a little bizarre)
- July 4th fireworks (First Independence Day not seeing fireworks)
- Speaking the national language (Spain)
- US Dollars keeping their worth (the exchange rate for Euros and Pounds really gets you..)
- Croakies (Very American, but very convenient!)
- 3G (We couldn't call or text or anything and were on the constant search for wifi to let our families know we were still alive)
- Sandy and quiet beaches (Beaches are rocky and in Spain people were constantly walking by on the beach trying to sell agua.. it got old fast.)
- Laundry (We were able to do laundry twice, once in London and once in Edinburgh at my cousin's flat)
- Constant fear of pickpockets (Spain)
- Family and friends of course

What I'll miss about Europe
- The people (Everyone just does their own thing and goes about life with such an ease) 
- Not tipping at restaurants (Servers are on salary instead of relying on generous guests)
- Public transportation (It was SO easy and convenient and I just love the tube)
- European candy (I'm already craving it)
- The history
- The sights
- Charity shops (Books for less than 2 Pounds? Don't mind if I do)
- The lack of guns - 98% of cops in Ireland and the UK don't carry guns. It's just not a problem over there
- Afternoon tea
- Scones with clotted cream and jam
- The weather (Weird I know, but it was nice not frying in 100 degree weather)
- The fashion (Much edgier and sleeker than the US)
- The late sunlight (Edinburgh) - It would be 23:00 and still light out!
- Slight accents I actually could understand
- Markets (Amazing food and items for purchase, I'll miss these so much)
- Walking everywhere (Not needing a car to get everywhere was amazing)
- The ease of traveling (Countries are so small and close that it's no big deal jetting off or hopping on a train)



No comments:

Post a Comment