Friday, July 11, 2014

A Little About Me

Hello hello! So, I just got back from backpacking in Europe with a friend so creating a blog seems like the only logical next step from here, right? Right! I've been wanting to get back into the blogosphere for a while now (failed attempt 3 years ago) so this is the perfect excuse. My vision for this blog is to highlight all the things I love in life, which means a lot of random things, but hey, passions are passions. So, to start things off, here's a list of some "myself-isms" for y'all to better understand how my brain works and what gets me excited about life.

- Sociology: this was my minor at college and to say I was obsessed would be an understatement. This subject matter opened up my eyes to so much and has made me a better person because of it. I'll always remember my favorite professor saying how one of his students once came up to him and said "Matt, after taking this class, sociology just ruins the world!" and this couldn't be more true. No, it's not in a depressing way (well a little) but it makes you realize how bound we are by society's rules and roles and opens your eyes up to things that you never thought twice about before. Some of my favorite sociologists include: Charles CooleyMichael Schwalbe, and Sherryl Kleinman
- Sports Photography: I 100% get this passion from my mom. She never fails to have her camera with her at sporting events and for years I've been the annoying kid who steals it from her during the game so I can take pictures as well. There's something so incredible about taking raw photos of athletes in their element and never knowing if you're going to get a great action shot, or some blurry mess of a shot. It doesn't hurt either that my littlest brother plays my two favorite sports to shoot: baseball and basketball. One fun fact about me, if I could have any job in the world, I would absolutely love to be one of those photographers you see under the hoop at professional basketball games. I would be the happiest girl alive.
- Inspirational Quotes: Anyone who follows me on Pinterest knows this. I'm weak, I have a problem. I just love reading quotes and finding ones that pertain to life, somehow they always make me feel better. Some of my favorites: "If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives - Lemony Snicket" "All kinds of unforeseen events wait lurking to surprise you and make you glad you're alive - Jack Kerouac" and "Everything you want is on the other side of fear - Jack Canfield" of course there's many more, but I could ramble for forever.
- Traveling and Spontaneity: I've always loved seeing new places and trying new things, but this has been so much more true after the past three weeks in Europe. It's liberating seeing how other people live and how being yourself and being okay with it is so much easier than it seems. You see and meet so many different people traveling and it really shakes up how you see the world and yourself. Spontaneity I feel goes hand in hand with this. You have to be ready to try new things when the opportunity arises and learn to say "yes" more often when you have a chance to try something. You never know what could come of it!
- Bicycles: This is my weird obsession, but I just love bikes! They are possibly my favorite thing to take photos of (other than sports) and I just think they're so cool. Just looking at bikes you can make up in your mind so much of what its owner is like (I have a mustard yellow bike, so you can make up in your mind whatever that means about me). They're also just so cool to shoot, I'll definitely have a post with all my bike shots soon.

Well, of course there's more to me than these 5 things, but this gives you a good idea of what makes me happy and who I am. Welcome to my life through a camera lens and my eye's lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment